Translate

Larry Neokosmidis






E  lazneokosmidis@geo.aegean.gr
T  (+30) 22510 36423
F  (+30) 22510 36423


I come from Thessaloniki, a wonderful place to be brought up in. My destiny led me to Lesvos Island where I completed my undergraduate studies in Environmental Science at the University of the Aegean. During that time, I focused especially on the discipline of ecology. I was very interested in the spatial distribution of species and biodiversity in terrestrial ecosystems. For this reason, I attended the postgraduate program in Geography and Applied Geo-informatics at the Department of Geography of the University of the Aegean. This offered me good background skills to elucidate the spatial component of ecological processes.

I adore life on the island. It offers many opportunities for outdoor activities such as canoeing, which I am especially fond of. The decision to continue my studies on the Island was predetermined. Currently, I am engaged in my PhD studies, which investigate the landscape ecology of wild bees and its influence on pollination networks in the Aegean Archipelago, within the framework of the POL-AEGIS project.

I am deeply interested in spatial ecology, especially at the landscape level. So far, my research focused on Hymenoptera, but I intend to widen my taxonomic scope in the future. Moreover, I am interested in relationships and interactions between guilds through mutualistic networks.


PUBLICATIONS

Lazarina, M., Devalez, J., Neokosmidis, L., Sgardelis, S.P., Kallimanis, A.S., Tscheulin, T., Tsalkatis, P., Kourtidou, M., Mizerakis, V., Nakas, G., Palaiologou, P., Kalabokidis, K., Vujic, A., Petanidou, T. 2019. Moderate fire severity is best for the diversity of most of the pollinator guilds in Mediterranean pine forests. Ecology e02615.

Neokosmidis L., ,Tscheulin, T., Devalez, J., Petanidou, T. 2016. Landscape spatial configuration is a key driver of wild bee demographics. Insect Science, 25, 172-182.

Tscheulin, T., Neokosmidis, L., Petanidou, T., Settele J. 2011. Influence of landscape context on the abundance and diversity of bees in Mediterranean olive groves. Bulletin of Entomological Research, 101, 557-564. pdf